State/District  Champs

— Name, Title

State champs

1939 -- Oil City St. Joseph boys Catholic

1941 -- OIl City St. Joseph boys Catholic

PIAA

1980 -- Venango Christian (now Catholic) girls Class A

1992 -- Cranberry girls Class AA

1993 -- Cranberry girls Class AA

1994 -- Cranberry girls Class AA

2001 -- Franklin boys Class AAA

2006 -- Franklin boys Class AAA

District champs

CRANBERRY

Boys -- 1938, 1939, 1952, 2008

Girls -- 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

FRANKLIN

Boys --  1922*, 1995, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2021

Girls -- 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, 2012, 2013

OIL CITY

Boys -- 1921*

Girls -- 1975

ROCKY GROVE

Boys -- 1947, 1949, 2010, 2011

VENANGO CATHOLIC

Boys -- 1976, 1978, 1984

Girls -- 1979, 1980, 2015

Cranberry's 2008 title and the girls' championships from 2005-2012 came in District 9. VC's 2015 title also came out of D-9. All others by all schools are as members of District 10.

* See story in pink box.

PIAA playoffs records

Boys

Cranberry 0-4

Franklin 26-17

Oil City 0-2

Rocky Grove 3-7

VC 4-5

Girls

Cranberry 27-13

Franklin 14-15

Oil City 2-7

Rocky Grove 0-0

VC 10-5

Cranberrystatechamps2.jpg

The Cranberry girls and staff (top photo)  line up with their hardware after winning their third straight state championship in 1994. The Franklin boys (top left) celebrate their second state title in five years in 1996, and the Venango Christian girls gather at center court after claiming their state crown in 1980.

Vikings celebrate.jpg
champs1.jpg

*The first state tournament was held in 1920 at Penn State, at least the championship game was. There were 14 teams but with no district designations. The only team from northwestern Pa. was Farrell.

Oil City was one of eight teams entered in the 1921 tourney. The Oilers lost to eventual state champion McKeesport, 35-28, in the first round. They defeated Kane, 46-43, in OT at Grove City to claim the northwestern Pa. title. The McKeesport game also was at Grove City. George Chacona and Fred "Pete" Fox were the big names on the Oiler squad. This team owns a sad footnote: center Ellis Hall died in December 1921 of typhoid fever and other complications. He was a freshman at the University of California at Berkley, where he was enrolled in the school of dentistry. The Cowell Avenue resident, who had just turned 20, left behind a wife, to whom he had been secretly married in high school. The marriage was announced after he graduated from Oil City, where he was president of the senior class and a mainstay in dramatics in addition to hoops.

Franklin, led by King Richardson, was one of eight teams entered in the 1922 event. The Nursery lost to Wilkinsburg, 26-17, in the first round at Trees Field House on the Pitt campus. The game was originally scheduled for Grove City, but Wilkinsburg made a fuss and the game was moved.  Still, many Franklin fans made the trip train trip to Pittsburgh. The smaller floor favored  the bigger (weight, we're talking here) and slower Wilkinsburg team. Richardson, who would become a prominent Franklin citizen and a star in local basketball circles as an adult, was the designated foul shooter on the 1922 squad, making 14 straight free throws at one point. (In those days, one player shot all the free throws for the team.) 

The first year in which districts were designated was 1924. There were eight districts. Representing northwestern Pa. as the District 8 entrant was Greenville.

Farrell was the first District 10 representative in 1931. DuBois repped District 9 that year. There were 11 districts in 1932 and 12 by 1933.

Only Class A existed through 1944. The first A-B tourneys for boys were held in 1945. Class C was added in 1948.

Only district champions advanced to the state playoffs through 1971. A girls tourney was added in 1973 -- but only a single class.

There were two classes for girls and three for boys by 1976, when the names were changed from A-B-C to AAA-AA-A.

There were three classes for both boys and girls from 1978-83. A fourth class (AAAA) was added in 1984. Philadelphia schools were added to the mix in 2005. The present day format of six classes (1A through 6A) began in 2017.